If you have seen the movie The Secret then this post will be right up your alley.
The Secret brought the Law of Attraction into mainstream consciousness, which is a really cool thing. It’s actually been around forever and you can find it in many teachings while it’s not always called “The Law of Attraction” but can be referred to as your subconscious mind.
Napoleon Hill taught the Law of Attraction in Think and Grow Rich, Wayne Dyer has been teaching it for years, and it’s a foundation of Louise Hay’s teachings. These resources don’t necessarily come out and call it “the Law of Attraction”, although it is.
What’s really interesting is that the Law of Attraction is working in your life at this very moment whether or not you believe it and you can put it to use in your weight loss goals.
To Lose Weight Focus on What You WANT
Very simply put, the Law of Attraction is whatever you put your focus on (think about most) in your life is what you will create more of. Now in order to bring whatever you are focusing on into your life you do need to allow it in, and you do this by feeling good – it’s as simple as that. (if you want to learn more I highly recommend the book Ask and It Is Given by Abraham-Hicks.)
The focus of this article however, is on Your Focus – what you are putting your attention on when it comes to your weight loss goals. It’s very easy to tell what you are already focusing on because your results will show you – your results are always the answer to what you are focusing on in your life, so if you are overweight and you eat a lot of junk food and fast food, then this is exactly where your focus is.
Weight Loss and the Law of Attraction
When you think about your weight loss struggles like this and examine the thoughts that you think and what you put your focus on you will quickly see why you are creating the results that you are – your results in your life are always the measure of what you are focusing on!
If these are your results…
- Low or no motivation
- Weight gain
- Unhealthy eating habits
- A diet filled with processed, dead foods
- No exercise
- Low self-esteem
- Low self-confidence
…then these are exactly the things that you have been putting your focus on in your life.
If instead you were to change your focus to….
- The whole, healthy foods that you like eating
- The exercise and movement that you have fun doing
- Clothing that you would like to wear and fit into
- How you believe you would feel after losing weight
- All of the good feelings you feel when you are eating well, exercising, and losing weight
- How good you feel when you can get back into your smaller sized clothes
- How much better your body feels when you lose weight and lighten your load
- How light you feel when you’re eating clean, whole, healthy foods
- How much fun it is to try new recipes and get in the kitchen and use your creativity to cook
- How exercise releases stress and gives you a natural high at the same time
- How much sexier you feel when you treat your body with love and kindness by feeding it healthy foods and giving it regular exercise!
- How much more Alive you feel when you are feeding your body healthy foods and getting regular exercise
…then you will create more of the same – all good stuff! You will not just lose weight but you will create all of the good feelings that go along with it. This is exactly why I say that forcing yourself to only change the outside actions (how you eat and exercise) while ignoring the inside (your thoughts and emotions) will not give you the long term results that you seek. I mean after all, you don’t really want to “lose weight” for the rest of your life, do you? What you want is to get it off and keep it off, right?
Focus On What You Want
When you put your focus on what you want in your life that is what you will get. When you focus on the good stuff, on your outcome that you desire (a fit, toned body), on health, on feeling good, this is what you will get.
On the other hand if you focus on how you feel like such a failure because you haven’t been able to lose weight, on how no matter what you do it “never seems to work”, on how you just don’t seem to be able to get motivated, well, this is what you will get – more of the same!
The first step is becoming aware of what you think about all day long and if you want a quick and easy way to know what that is then just look around you – see what you have in your life right now. If you like what you see and it feels good to you then keep doing what you’re doing – focusing on the same things that you are now. However, if you don’t like your results then you need to change your focus.
You can do it if you believe that you can and you can create whatever you want to create in your life if you believe that you can. 😉